By Jessica Brody
There’s no shortage of abandoned or neglected pets across the USA and it takes an extraordinary effort on all our parts to ensure that they find the help they need. If you want to do your part, here’s what to consider first.
Before you commit time and energy to working with one of the many volunteer agencies, it’s often a good idea to carry out some preliminary research.
- The Humane Society lists some conditions before you apply to volunteer.
- There are a number of different ways you can help with animal welfare, such as fostering in your own home.
- It’s important to understand the role of animal volunteers and the impact they can have on the lives of animals.
It’s important to take your time before making a commitment to finding the most competent and ethical organizations across the USA.
- The Animal Welfare Institute, established in 1951, boasts a Charity Navigator Rating of 99.99 out of 100 and seeks to educate, advocate and limit cruelty to animals.
- Brother Wolf is an example of a foster-based organization, meaning they help each animal to find a place to live of their own. There are many of these across the US.
- For a global focus, The International Fund for Animal Welfare is dedicated to the protection of endangered species and the limitation of climate change impacts.
You may find that the nonprofits listed above don’t address your own personal concerns. In which case, you may decide to take independent action instead.
- Fostering an animal is one of the simplest and most effective ways to impact positive change.
- Forming your own animal rescue is a massive undertaking and you’ll need to plan carefully in advance.
- If you want to start your own non-profit corporation, be sure to understand the ins and outs of business structure.
If you want to help abandoned or neglected pets, you’ll find no shortage of options. Just be certain to pick carefully about where and to whom you devote your valuable time, energy or money.