Sofia’s Yummy Treats
By Sofia I. Sanchez
Objective: To share quick recipes kids can make on their own with little to no adult supervision.
Requirements: A positive attitude, a desire to learn, and a HEALTHY appetite!
December, 2011 – Holiday Lollipops
Making Holiday lollipops is a fun way to gear up for the holidays, and when you’re done, you’ll have gifts to hand out to your friends, teachers and neighbors. You will need to have your helper do all the work on the stove so make sure your directions are clear and your ingredients are handy. You will also need a candy thermometer and non-stick baking mats (or any shape candy mold) which you can buy at Publix.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 drops red or green food coloring (or preferred flavoring)
- 10 lollipop sticks
- Assorted candies, for decorating
- Line three baking sheets with Silpats (nonstick baking mats), or grease them generously with vegetable oil. Prepare an ice-water bath. Combine sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan, and place over medium-high heat. Stir continuously to dissolve sugar. When the syrup comes to a boil, stop stirring and clip on a candy thermometer. Continue to cook, without stirring, until the mixture turns golden and reaches 300 degrees to 310 degrees. (hard-crack stage) on the thermometer, 5 to 7 minutes. Occasionally wash the sides of the pan using a clean brush dipped in cold water to prevent crystals from forming.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Transfer the syrup to a 2-cup heatproof measuring cup. Using a heatproof rubber spatula, stir in the food coloring until completely combined.
- Working quickly, pour ten 3-inch circles of syrup onto prepared baking sheets. Press in lollipop sticks. With your fingertips or a toothpick, lightly press candies into the syrup. Set aside until completely cooled and hardened.
Sofia I. Sanchez is seven years old. She aspires to be a future baker and bakery owner. She loves baking and cooking in her kitchen at home and invites other kids to do the same