By Cristian DeRusha, Farm Director at Arden
With rising costs, increasing demand, and growing concerns about the safety of personal care and hygiene items, many are looking for new ways to stay clean and save some money. These days, so many off-the-shelf items are filled with preservatives and chemical ingredients such as unnatural fragrances, which can cause irritation with long term use. Not to mention, repurchasing these products throughout the year can be expensive – the average American spends more than $700 annually on personal care.
While it may not be for everyone, making your own natural personal care products at home can allow you to have control over the ingredients that go into the products you use, ensuring that they are natural and free of potentially harmful chemicals. It can also be a more cost-effective option, as you can often use ingredients that you already have at home or that are easily accessible and inexpensive. If you’re ready to give it a try, here are three products to get you started!
Natural and Waste Free Body Scrub
Don’t throw out those coffee grinds and use them for an all-natural coffee body scrub! Coffee scrubs are a great natural and sustainable substitute for chemical moisturizers and exfoliants. This all-natural, easy-to-make scrub helps increase blood circulation and does a great job of exfoliation without the worry of harmful ingredients. You can also use this scrub in your hair and under your eyes for a refreshing lift!
To make your own coffee scrub at home:
- Mix together 1/2 cup fresh ground coffee and 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Add 1/2 cup coconut oil into the mixture
- Mix until combined and store in a glass container to avoid plastic!
Have you ever looked into the ingredients into your deodorant? Between the amount of plastic waste that comes from constant repurchasing, many of the ingredients found in traditional deodorants can be toxic and harmful with continued use, such as aluminum and parabens. The next time you run out, try out this customizable, and freshening deodorant recipe at home with just six all-natural, waste-free ingredients
How to make your own deodorant:
- Add coconut oil and shea butter to a glass bowl or a jar and place the bowl/jar inside a sauce pan to create a double boiler. Then, add enough water to the saucepan to surround the bowl and bring it to a boil. Stir the shea butter and coconut oil until they melt together.
- Once melted, add in cornstarch, baking soda and an essential oil of your choice, such as lavender or tea tree oil.
- Place in a 3-ounce jar and allow to cool at room temperature or in the fridge until it has reached a solid state.
- Apply deodorant with your hands or transfer it to an old, empty deodorant container for easy application!
Natural Bath Salts
Every once in a while, it’s nice to wind down from a long day with a warm bath. If you’ve used them before, you’ll know that bath salts have some incredible benefits, and if you haven’t considered them before, you’re in for a treat! They can help exfoliate and moisturize your skin, reduce inflammation, ease muscle aches and stiff joints, and relieve stress.
Here is how you can make your own bath salts:
- Mix together 4 cups of Epsom salts, 1 cup of coarse dead sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, 20 drops of bergamot essential oil, 10 drops of neroli essential oil, and 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil.
- Store in a reusable container and enjoy!
Making your own natural personal care products is easy. If you start making your own items at home, you’ll be budgeting better, living more sustainably, and keeping clean and healthy in a new, all-natural way!