By Ana Cristina Maldonado
Toilet Tissue? What’s the Issue?
Much of the TP in the U.S. is:
· Made from “virgin pulp” – meaning that trees are cut down just to make TP.
· Bleached white with chlorine – which releases cancer-causing dioxins into the environment.
What’s the solution?
· Use your power as a consumer to switch to brands that don’t cause deforestation and pollution.
· Check out the Natural Resources Defense Council’s Toilet Paper Scorecard:
Top Three Most Affordable AND Environmentally-Friendly Brands:
1. Marcal (Great online bulk deals) https://www.amazon.com/Marcal-Toilet-Paper-100-Recycled/dp/B004NG8Z1S?th=1
2. Publix Greenwise
3. 7th Generation
These three brands use 100% recycled paper, with 50% or over post-consumer material and bleach the paper with oxygen instead of chlorine. Some package TP rolls with paper instead of plastic.
Other alternatives include products that are bamboo-based or made from materials certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). But the recycled and post-consumer components of the “A” grade brands make them the most environmentally friendly.
During the great TP shortage of 2020, we realized how we take for granted the most mundane things. Our environment is another thing we take for granted. We often don’t make the connection between our consumption habits and our impact.
So go ahead – switch to more sustainable TP as a consumer and help prevent deforestation and cancer. You can make a difference!
Did you know: The average person uses one roll every 3-4 days. That is over 100 rolls per person per year! https://www.omnicalculator.com/everyday-life/toilet-paper
Ana Cristina Maldonado is Nico’s proud mama. She is an attorney mediator with Upchurch Watson White and Max.